In 1923 G.F. Snell and his son, E.R., started a business building rock culverts and walls, placing integrity at its foundation. After his father's death in 1938, E.R. added roadside grassing and guardrail work to the already thriving business.
When the national interstate highway system was begun in the 1950s, the company expanded into bridge work. E.R. Snell Contractor was incorporated in 1959 and, for the next two decades, specialized primarily in concrete culverts, bridges and flatwork. E.R. retired in the 1970s and his son, Richard, became president.
Grading operations were added in 1978. The new division quickly became the company's largest source of revenues, elevating it from its primary role as a subcontractor. By the late 1980s, E.R. Snell Contractor, Inc. had become one of the largest prime contractors in the state of Georgia, while still maintaining a strong base of private and commercial customers.
In 1990, E.R. Snell Contractor, Inc. purchased Jasper Construction's asphalt division, including four asphalt production plants.
Another expansion was made to the company with the addition of the Athens division in 1997, which allowed the company to expand into the private and commercial sectors specializing in base and paving services. Growth continued with the 2002 purchase of Riverdale Paving, which consisted of four asphalt plants and specialized in commercial projects. The latest addition to E.R. Snell Contractor, Inc. was the purchase of one asphalt plant and other assets of Aamco Paving in 2004.
The company has grown from its five to six employees in the early 1900's, to its current workforce of 475. It has expanded from a small one-desk operation in E.R. Snell, Sr.'s home to its current muti-division operation with corporate headquarters in a modern two-story facility. The current president, Robin Snell, assumed the position when Richard Snell retired in 1996.